Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:12:38 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@alumni.umbc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Networking Help

Sandip Srivastava writes:
 +---------------
 | I have a stand-alone system that connects only occasionally to the
 | internet via a dial-up ppp connection. The ISP that I connect to
 | dynamically assigns my system an IP address and a FQDN.
 |
 | There are two things I would like done. I don't know if they are possible
 | with the way things currently are. First I would like to run a nameserver
 | on my system. The second I would like is for people to be able to access
 | my system by a FQDN instead of an IP address. I have called my system the
 | following:
 |
 |   atlantic.srivastava.com
 |
 | If they can't access my system by the above name, is it possible for my
 | system to take the name the ISP assigns me while I'm connected to the
 | internet?
 |
 | Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 |
 | -Sandip
 +---------------

A few things need to be clear first.  It appears that the domain
SRIVASTAVA.COM is regestered to someone called NIRAJ SRIVASTAVA.
If that is not you then you'll have to make arangements with them to list
your addresses.

Second it is usually necessary to have a static IP address to host inbound
connections to your services.  If your ISP wont give you a static address
then you need to find one that will.

Finaly it is not realy necessary to host services for your domain on your
computer.  Your ISP can provide much of this service for you.  I'd talk to
them about various hosting services if you are not interested in bring up
this stuff your self.

As to running a name server on your system.  It is posible to bring one up
but there are some administrative details that have to be completed before
your server can be part of the global DNS.  Look at
http://www.internic.net/faq.html and
http://www.isc.org/misc/dns-paper-originit.pdf

chris

__