Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 20:22:46 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A moment of sound then silence, or, where did my sound card go?

Hello,

I just got sound somewhat working in my 3.0-STABLE kernel (SoundBlaster
AWE64 card), installed the amp port from (/usr/ports/audio/amp), then tried
it out:

% amp -s test-test-123.mp3

amp 0.7.6, (C) Tomislav Uzelac 1996,1997
THIS PROGRAM COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
PLEASE READ THE DOCUMENTATION FOR DETAILS

Playing: test-test-123.mp3

Properties:    stereo 44100Hz
Coding Method: MPEG1.0 layer3
Bitrate:       128kbit/s
{ 70 }

At this point I hear approx. 1/2 second of the audio, crystal clear,
perfect, then dead silence, and the frame counter (the { 70 } part) stops
dead.  I CTRL-C out, and restart, but amp reports "Unable to open the audio
device".  I wait 15 seconds, try again, and the same thing repeats, 1/2
second of audio, then dead silence.

Hmm, I think, maybe this is an amp bug?  So I install mpg123 and try it.  I
only hear silence with mpg123, even though the frame counter slowly (slow in
the extreme) progresses through it.

Not one to give up easily, I use amp's ability to convert .mp3 to other
formats:

% amp -s -convert test-test-123.mp3 test.out
then
% cat test.out > /dev/audio

I hear SCREETCHing sound for about a second, then nothing for about 10
seconds, then I see:

cat: stdout: Input/output error

Here's a cat of /dev/sndstat:
# cat /dev/sndstat

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha15-970902 (Wed Aug  6 22:58:35 PDT 1997
Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
Config options:

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 25: AWE32 Synth
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 10 drq 1
SoundBlaster16 at 0xffffffff irq 1 drq 5
SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 1
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 1
AWE32 Synth at 0x620 irq 1

Audio devices: