Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:54:59 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: meastro3 and suspend/resume

--==_Exmh_-1737175457P

> My meastro3 built-in soundcard no longer works after resuming my
> Omnibook 500. Does anyone have it actually working?

Some people say they have, but I note that none of them say they're using an
Omnibook. :-/

It's never worked post-resume for me on my Omnibook 6000. Resume from
'Standby' mode worked last time I tried it, but this is less than useful, as
all it seems to do is blank the screen(?), leaving the HDD etc. running.

Try kldunload'ing the driver and re-kldloading it, this gets the sound working
again for me. If you've got (e.g.) xmms open, you'll need to STOP the player
(as opposed to leaving it paused) in order to free the device so that the
driver can be unloaded.

However, I *have* noticed that using any mixer application (other than the
xmms volume control) to adjust volume levels at any time since the machine is
booted will cause the kldunload to fail (its says that the mixer is busy),
even if you've long since exited the mixer application.

It's been doing this last foible since around about 4.4-REL, IIRC.

Working sound after suspend/resume on the Maestro3 hasn't worked for me, ever,
and I started using it last January (e.g. before the driver went into the
source tree).

HTH.

AS

> Here is its id:
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Oct 20 2001 20:08:35
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0x1c00 irq 5 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)
>
> pcm0@pci0:13:0: class=0x040100 card=0x0011103c chip=0x1998125d rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>
> -Guido

--==_Exmh_-1737175457P

--==_Exmh_-1737175457P--