Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 16:02:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intelligent Debugging Tools...

Hi...

	What would it take to either create software for debugging
hardware, and/or add appropriate debugging to the kernel that would
improve debugging of hardware problems?

	Erk...as far as software is concerned, maybe something that
you could run in single user mode that would completely thrash the
RAM, doing read/writes to *all* the memory looking for any corruption?
Or something else that could be turned on against /dev/rsd0b to totally
thrash the swap space on a drive?

	As far as the kernel is concerned, I'm getting panics in VM
and keep getting told its hardware problems...fine, but there *has*
to be a better way of isolating the problem then replacing bits and
pieces until the problem seems to go away.  For instance, when I get
a VM fault...what exactly *is* the problem?  Is it a problem with
the swap space (ie. hard drives) or RAM?

	My -stable machine is a 4 month old computer, and all the
parts are new in her...last I've been asked is "when am I going to
replace the machine"...replace it with what?  its all new...if there
was some way of narrowing down the offending parts and replacing
those, that would be great...but just going out and buying a new machine
is not the answer, cause the part that is wrong with *this* machine
might exist in the next machine *shrug*

	Does this make any sense?

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org