Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 11:27:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Add some more information in the ktrace(1)/kdump(1) output

John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com> wrote:
 > I have to say this: "Anything ktrace can do, DTrace can do better!".
 >
 > My DTrace project already has access to *ALL* syscall parameters with all the
 > extra DTrace whiz-bang stuff included.
 > [...]

Sounds very exciting.  Hope it'll be available soon.  :-)

Personally I haven't used ktrace in ages because of its
various drawbacks (incomprehensible output format being
just one of them).

I've always use strace (from the ports collection) with
great success.  It decodes data from most syscalls in a
human-readable way, has very flexible command line options
for filtering various kinds of information, and you don't
have to use a separate dump tool.  I can't live without
strace.  (Of course, dtrace will be even better, once it
is there.)

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh