Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 96 14:29:42 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Risk of having bpf0? (was URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system)

>>>     What are people's feelings on enabling devices like bpf or snp
>>> in the kernel on a public server?  Obviously, had I not compiled bpf
>>> into the shell and Web server kernels, this particular incident would
>>> never have happened.  However, I like to have access to tcpdump to
>>> check for things like ping floods, and trafshow to see where bytes are
>>> being sent.
>>
>>Evil evil evil.  Definitely never on a public server; bpf lets you do
>>lots more than just snoop, it makes it possible (easier) to spoof as
>>well.

As far as I understand, BPF in the kernel is only a risk when someone
gets root rights, not? In that case, if you don't have BPF in the
kernel the person in question could also ftp a new kernel and wait for
the next reboot.

What am I overlooking? What makes BPF dangerous as long as noone has
root access to the machine?

And in what way can BPF make spoofing easier?

Martin
--
Martin_Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536