Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun OS (Was: BSD Inquiry...)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > ...and presumably then Posix is SysV-like cos I know Linus has said that the
> > Linux kernel aims to be Posix compatible.
>
> Just to avoid confusing many, many people, Posix is NOT an operating
> system. It is a standard for code portability and specifies things
> like utilities and libraries. It, in no way, specifies an OS. VMS was
> Posix and I think Windows NT might well be.

Just because I know something about it... NT only complies with the most
basic levels of Posix as it doesn't fit the perogative of MS to include
futher levels of Posix standards.

Posix, as you said is only a set of 'policies and procedures' which are
recommended for OS to comply with... the purpose being portability and
compatibility.  IIRC the SysV bootstrapping procedure, and the associated
mess of run levels and rc files, doesn't appear in Posix but I very well
could be wrong.

The fact that there are a number of levels of Posix compliance possible
speaks to the intent of the designers of the Posix system.

--Steve