Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:47:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Spades <spades@galaxynet.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRCD running out of memory (Was: Question)

Spades <spades@galaxynet.org> types:
> Any idea how to solve the below?

First, use more specific subject lines. Something like half the mail
to freebsd-questions contains a question.

> Message from syslogd@web at Thu Nov  9 19:02:54 2000 ...
> ghostweb Nov  9 19:02:54ircd[: Out of memory: restarting server...
>
> Message from syslogd@web at Thu Nov  9 19:02:54 2000 ...
> ghostweb Nov  9 19:02:54ircd[: Restarting Server because: Out of Memory,
> memory data limit: 1163900

My first guess would be that ircd is leaking memory. That's a bug in
ircd, and you'd have to dive into the source to fix it. The standard
workaround for memory leaks is to restart the leaky program every so
often - which it's doing for you already.

If it's not a memory leak, then you need to give ircd more memory. In
that case, you should check to see what limit's its got now, and
whether you can raise that (with ulimit) before it runs. If worst
comes to worst, you'll need to build a kernel with MAXDSIZ raised so
you can give it more memory.

	<mike