Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:33:54 +0000
From:      Kyle Butt <kylebutt@myrealbox.com>
To:        casey76@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [No Subject]

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:07:20 -0700
"Casey Scott" <casey76@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I recently switched my ADSL connection from Verizon (awful) to Earthlink.
> Earthlink uses a PPPoE connection and Verizon didn't. The problem is that any
> email I send, except to earthlink, results in a:
>
>  '... dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation timed out with <domain>'
>
> Any message sent to earthlink arrives successfully. I have watched tcpdump,
> successfully telnetted to port 25 on the machine in question, and all inbound
> mail arrives successfully. I don't know why all outbound mail is having
> problems. Everything else with the connection seems fine, outgoing and
> incoming. Below is my ppp.conf file:
> default:
>  set log Phase tun command
>  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
>
> earthlink:
>       set device PPPoE:xl0
>       set authname <username>
>       set authkey <password>
>       set dial
>       set login
>       add default HISADDR
>       enable dns
>

> Does anyone have any idea why sendmail would have an issue with PPPoE? It
> worked fine w/ the Verizon ADSL (Non PPPoE).

They most likely filter out port 25 except to their server.
Same thing happens here. Set up sendmail (or your MTA if it's not sendmail)
to relay all messages through your isp's mail server.

with sendmail, uncomment and edit the second line below in
/etc/mail/<HOSTNAME>.mc

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `your.isp.mail.server')

then 'make cf restart' in the same directory.

if /etc/mail/<HOSTNAME>.mc doesn't exist yet, run 'make cf' first, and then run
the above steps.

Regards,
	Kyle