Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:20:38 +0300
From:      Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kernel problems...

Ok here is my problem.  I just compiled the kernel 2.2.6-STABLE I
believe and when I boot up it doesn't work. it gives me some "Failed to
mount root" or something like that. then it tells me to enter the path
for my shell or hit ENTER to use SH. but I can still boot using
kernel.old(generic 2.2.5 kernel) and that works great. now what I want
to do is delete "kernel"(the one that doesn't work) and copy
"kernel.old" to "kernel" so this way I'd have kernel and kernel.old and
they'd both be the same exact thing. But when I try to rm kernel it
gives me that error that it's locked in place. like "Do you want to
override ......." I hit "y" and it gives me a permission denied(I AM
logged in as root when I'm doing this). so my question is. how do i
"unlock" that so I can delete it? this way I can boot up by using the
generic kernel without having to type "kernel.old" at the boot screen.