Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 23:14:04 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Women in FreeBSD ( was Re: Is there a reseller program?)

Wes Peters wrote:

> Mark Ovens wrote:
> >

> And some not even then.  Feel free to guess the gender of my offspring,
> named Bailey.  You have approximately a 50% chance of getting it right,
> give or take 1%.  My sister-in-law's firstborn is named Morgan.  Wanna
> guess at that one?  ;^)

Go on then, I'll go for female on both.

> > > Depending on who the
> > > reader is, this will cause them to pay more or less attention to
> > > the author, be more or less critical of their opinions, and more
> > > or less patient with them.
> >
> > That should depend on the content of the message rather than the person
> > who sent it, surely
>
> Should, but doesn't.  We all have our prejudices, some less than others,
> and some more controlled than others, but they're still there.

OK, but seeing as most people on these lists are intelligent,
professional people is it not unreasonable to expect us to rise above
them, at least in our posts?

> > > All of these also apply to those of a different culture.
> > >
> > > I, in general, am more interested, less critical, and more patient,
> > > but hey, that's just me.  I'm also less likely to assume a woman
> > > is an idiot, I'd rather assume she's just an expert at something
> > > else.  I know this makes me incredibly sexist,
> >
> > Not wishing to pass judgement on your opinions, but I can see some
> > (all?) women reading this to consider that rather patronizing.
>
> So can I, but it still stands.  I've been roundly cursed for opening
> doors for women, by the women as they walk through them, but I'm not
> about to stop.

Hmm, well that's just darn right rude. I was brought up the same way;
open doors for ladies, giving up your seat on a bus etc. and I still do
it now, without even thinking, I just do it automatically.

> The women I've come to know, probably even a little bit, realize
> it's not patronizing. I prefer to talk to women, they're so much
> more able to carry on a conversation than the average male.  Of
> course, I don't spend much time with "average" males, either.  ;^)

The problem is, of course, that conversing on the 'net is done blind,
people don't really know you.

> > > but in my experience
> > > there ARE far more male jerks, morons, and madmen than female.  ;^)
> >
> > Got to agree with you there :-(
> >
> > > I also try to cultivate helping relationships with people of
> > > different cultures. I've met people over the net in Africa, Australia,
> > > and England whom I now consider good friends, simply by answering
> > > (or occasionally asking) a few questions.  Who knows, I may someday
> > > get the chance to share my home, or perhaps even theirs, simply for
> > > the price of helping somebody with PPP, or DNS, or something else
> > > that is relatively trivial for me.
> >
> > Yes, that's one of the great things about the international nature of
> > the Internet, you can learn so much more than, in this case, FreeBSD.
> > Someone recently took the time to explain the definition of "felony" and
> > "misdemeanour" in the context of US law after a thread about spam, for
> > example.
>
> One of the most interesting conversations I've had came about as a
> result of helping a young man in England with a PPP problem.  His
> name is Robin and he works for the Sheriff of Nottingham.  I asked
> him if he gets a lot of people curious about this situation, and
> he said mostly from yanks; apparently the story isn't that well-
> known in England.  ;^)

:-)

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.