Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:10:27 +0000
From:      nox@FreeBSD.ORG (Juergen Lock)
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Change in loader or kernel: won't boot with kfreebsd in grub2

[sending this from hub since bellsouth.net doesn't seem to like my
`normal' mailserver...]

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 07:30:16PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I can repeat (again) what uname -a shows:
>

> FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196: Sun Aug 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013     root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64
>
> > Hello,
>
> > can you try to install this loader?
>
> >  http://people.freebsd.org/~ae/loader
>
> > WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov
>
> I just downloaded it, saving as loaderae, using your email username and initials as a suffix.
>
> I assume loader works under a different name?
>
> I can use "kfreebsd/loaderae" instead of "kfreebsd /boot/loader", and loaderae will be preserved over the next update from source.
>
> Then I will want to test the new /boot/loader which might possibly work right with kfreebsd.
>
> Or maybe I will have a newer kfreebsd.

 ..so you probably never saw my post about the updated super grub disk iso:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-August/074711.html

 I.e. they fixed the kfreebsd misspelling and the grub 2.00 bug that
prevented it from booting a 9.1+ kernel directly, so the autodetection
now has better chances of working.  (They even added loader to the
autodetection so you can also `e'dit that entry and change loader to
loaderae to test this.)

 HTH, :)
	Juergen