Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 00:02:44 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

> > If we're going to go off the beaten track, we might as well do it
> > properly.  A 10M harddisk image is going to be a much better idea in
> > that case.
>
> Probably... If all BIOSes that handle CDROM booting can handle that...

Which is as good a time as any to make a *practical* suggestion and
get us moving back in the direction of progress, I think. :-)

Let's postpone this discussion for another 15 days or so, until Mike
can return (to the US) from the Australian location he's currently
occupying.  He and I will look over his spec and see if we can't hack
mkisofs into using a 10MB image rather than the 1.44MB image it uses
now and I'll beat some release bits into actually using that 10MB
image in some reasonably productive way, say as a super fixit
disk/small X terminal, and burn about 10 copies of the resulting CD.
Then I'll come back here and ask those of you who are currently able
to boot the 2.2.x or 3.0 release CDs on your machines to contact me
with information on your configuration.  We'll pick out 10 people who
seem to represent a reasonably diverse collection of CD-booters and
send them a copy of of this.  If it works on all 10, that will be a
good sign.  If it does not, it won't be and we can rethink this. :-)

- Jordan