Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 21:39:47 -0500
From:      "Robert Burns" <rjburns@lanzen.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   iijppp - cannot ping host after connect

I have managed to manually connect to my host with iijppp on 2.1, I know
I'm connected from netstat output, both route and interface entries.  My
host uses PAP & dynamic ip's so I am unable to run "ifconfig tun0 inet
my_ip my_host netmask 0xffffff00" in /etc/netstart   Is this required under
these circumstances or does iij set up the interface upon successful
negociation.

Also I don't have a lan connection so the only ifconfig entry I have is for
the loopback.
And, I don't run routed or gated.

When I try and ping 205.205.70.175 (my host) nothing happens.  It seems
this is pretty straight forward, at least it was the last time I had FBSD
2.01 installed on my system

Also I've assigned myself an ip of 10.0.0.1 and I can't even ping myself.
I guess not if no interfaces are configured???

Robert Burns
rjburns@lanzen.net
Mtl.,Canada