Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
To:        binary@binary.ath.cx, kris@obsecurity.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I still can't get my net install to work from CDrom

Thanks for the pointers all!  I finally got the net
install to work, it seemed, but now it doesn't want to
boot.  I installed and tried reinstalling a couple
times with various configurations of the 2 scsi hd's
aka:

da0 with os and bsd boot loader
da1 as secondary file system and standard mbr

da1 with os and bsd boot loader
da0 as secondary file system and standard mbr

I've also tried leaving the mbr unchanged on the hd
with the secondary file system.  All these options
either lead to a message that says "Operating System
Missing" or just having the bootloader beep annoyingly
at me.

Now I have installed the boot loader on both disks.
da1 has the tradition / and da0 has /fs2 (my secondary
filesystem)

It now beeps at me then says

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1

Default: F5

and after a few seconds it goes to

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 0

Default: F5

and then it proceeds to alternate F5 Drive 0 and F5
Drive 1...

I don't know how to troubleshoot this, I know the
machine is an old IBM server, p75, 2 4g scsi hd's..
Please ask for any info we might need to
troubleshoot.. I'm open to suggestions.. Might this be
some sort of bios problem?  Thanks for all your great
suggestions!

Jim