Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:42:57 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [no_reboot] Starting New NFS services...

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:51:42AM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> On a Solaris system or Linux I'd:
>
> (rough_example)
>
> /etc/init.d/portmap start
> /etc/init.d/nfs start
>
> And the services would read all config files and start. I was
> hoping to source the /etc/rc.network file and have the same
> thing done.

Actually sourcing the rc.network file won't work anyhow.  If you look
at the file, you'll see it consists of nothing other than the
definition of a number of functions called such things as
'network_pass1()'. Nothing interesting will actually happen until
those functions are called, which is usually done by the /etc/rc
script and there the function calls are interspersed with all the many
other commands required to bring up the system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow