Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:54:45 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix and the desktop ( was Re: ports startup scripts)

> SCO did not try to win the desktop.  You can't win the destop by replacing
> a contender (Xenix) with a piece of crap (SVR3).

That's an opinion I doubt the management of SCO would agree with.

[ Xenix usability vs. ODT ]

> After the switch to SVR3, SCO was unusable, period, let alone for running
> ODT on barely-sufficient-under-Xenix-hardware.

Hmm, this sounds *alot* like what a large # of unix vendors did.

SunOS  -> Slowlaris
Xenix  -> ODT
SVR3   -> SVR4
Ultrix -> OSF/1 (now Digital Unix)

Unfortunately, moving from a small/robust OS to a more featureful but
slower (and often more buggy) OS isn't considered a 'bad thing' by
marketing, but rather instead a step in the right direction.

However, this arguement has already degenerate into an opinion war,
which I'll no longer participate in.

Nate