Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 10:50:59 -0400
From:      mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to receive mail with mutt?

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:32:20AM -0500, Nick Lozinsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been bugging with this for a while, and still can't get it straight:
> how do I get
> mutt to receive mail directly to it? refreshing or checking the mailbox off
> of my ISP's mail server every few minutes (5-10). I have installed mutt and

Automatically, like via a timer? I don't think you can.
That's what fetchmail is for.

> can send and receive mail while on the same box and messaging the users on
> the same box, but can't get my remote mail server's responses.
>
> I've tried to use fetchmail, and it does work, just doesn't stick it into
> the mutt folder, wherever it is;

Fetchmail uses your MTA to deliver mail. Check your MTA configuration.

set spoolfile='/path/to/mailbox' (/var/mail/username by default.)

Add that line to your .muttrc.

> I have not tried using procmail, yet, as I
> can't get the basic mail system to function.

This isn't what procmail is for, anyway.

> Anyone, if you can clarify the steps of getting mutt to receive mail off of,
> let's say, mai.me.com (a pretend ISP's mail server), I will appreciate it a
> great deal.

set pop_host="pop3.domain.com"
set pop_user="username"
set pop_pass="password"

in .muttrc. Pressing 'G' within mutt will retrieve the mail. The usual
caveats about putting passwords in textfiles apply.

> Thank you in advance.

mike