Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2006 15:55:29 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <danial_thom@yahoo.com>, "Heinrich Rebehn" <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Recommendation for 1000BASE-SX card?

But I didn't say that.  I said the driver stinks
because the HARDWARE stinks.

When I can take a Windows box with a Broadcom
chip in it, that is exhibiting timeouts and slowness,
unplug it from one brand of 10BaseT hub, and plug
it into another brand of 10BaseT hub, and then
plug my laptop into the first hub port that the
Windows box was in, and have absolutely no problems,
and have the Broadcom Windows box work perfectly in
the second brand of hub, that is crappy hardware.

It is not drivers, and no amount of twaddling with
code in the driver will fix it.

>All sample code
>stinks. The sample code should be just that; an
>example of how to program the controller.

Absolutely no, not at all.  It is very easy to write
a sample driver source that is full of unexplained magic
numbers, in fact the Broadcom driver that I tweaked
was broken precisely because one of the prior
FreeBSD programmers who obviously didn't understand
teh first thing about bit mathmatics, had gone in
and replaced a bunch of magic numbers with what
he thought was their equivalents, in binary formulas.
Looking at it I know exactly what he was trying to do,
he had broken the magic numbers down to binary, seen
what appeared to be some pattern similaries between
them, tried to write some bit formulas that would
generate the same magic numbers.  In short he was
assuming the magic numbers actually followed some
logic for the different chips.  This was a wrong
assumption, and he didn't even do the math right.

I spent 4 hours figuring out what he had been trying
to do, and an hour chopping it out when I finally
figured out what he was trying to do, then figured
out that it wasn't calculating correctly anyway.
I could have corrected his binary formulas, but then
it would just make the driver harder to maintain since
it would no longer match the Linux driver in that
section.

The chip datasheets are supposed to tell you how to
program the controller.  And in this case, the
Broadcom-supplied Linux driver that was used as
a template is the -offically supported-
driver from Broadcom for Linux, it is not a
sample driver that came in a device drivers kit.

>Taking
>example code and forcing it into a driver results
>in a garbage driver.

I will agree with this, there is plenty of that that
does happen.  Not in this case, but yes, it does
happen.

>Which is also why the strategy of hiring some
>"starving programmer" is not a viable
>option,since the talent of the programmer is
>directly proportiate to the quality of the
>finished driver. The margin between marginal
>programmers (guys that can get something done
>that "works") and a superior programmer is very
>large. We're not talking about welders here.
>There could be a 50% performance difference
>between 2 drivers for the same controller written
>by programmers with different talent levels. A
>couple of fewer or more efficient I/Os, a better
>way to allocate memory, how you flip the rings;
>all can make a tremendous difference,
>particularly when you get to the 100K+ iterations
>per second levels of traffic.

The "starving programmer" was an exaggeration used
to illustrate a point, I was not seriously suggesting
to go out and hire a bad programmer.

But, when you buy cheap crappy hardware it is cheap
because the manufacturer has hired less talented
programmers among other things, and you can only
expect something that "works" not that "works well"

Ted