Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 19:40:11 GMT
From:      "Alexander N. Mueller" <alex@6by9.org>
To:        freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb/76461: disklabel of umass(4)-CAM(4)-da(4) not used by devfs automatically

The following reply was made to PR usb/76461; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Alexander N. Mueller" <alex@6by9.org>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org, arne_woerner@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:34:35 +0200

 On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:04:38PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:

 > Alex, Arne,
 >
 > could you please read a thread starting with the following mail:
 > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=12145+0+archive/2005/freebsd-geom/20050703.freebsd-geom
 > and see if it covers your case as well and if suggested procedure is
 > Good Enough for you too ?

 Andriy,

 yes, doing "true > /dev/da0" works for me.  I had to do it three times,
 however, before my Fujitsu DynaMO 2300 U2 finally recognized the medium I
 had inserted.  After doing that, all the missing partitions (da0a, da0c)
 were there.  Thanks for this hint!

 It's just a little inconvenient, because I have quite a few USB mass
 storage devices, which I only power up on demand.  Therefore I usually
 don't know which device node (da0, da1, ...) is being assigned to each
 device.  Normally this doesn't impose any problem because I use GEOM
 labels to mount these devices.  Of course, the above workaround doesn't
 help with that...

 Cheers,

 Alex