Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:30:51 -0400
From:      Jeffrey Paul <sneak@datavibe.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   termcap question (rather stupid and newbieish)

I have made additions to my /etc/termcap file, and wish to
incorporate those changes into the database used by
vi/ee/[n]curses/clear/etc, but 'tic' doesn't seem to work, even
though it creates the entries in /usr/local/share/misc/terminfo/?/*.
I've added the entries to the /etc/termcap and
/usr/share/misc/termcap files both, and i've tried using cap_mkdb(1)
to create the .db file (and it re-creates the file, but still fails
to work, as seen below):

chrome:/usr/share/misc# rm termcap.db
chrome:/usr/share/misc# cap_mkdb -v termcap
cap_mkdb: 652 capability records
chrome:/usr/share/misc# ls -tla termcap.db
-rw-r--r--   1 root     wheel     1253376 Jul 19 19:57 termcap.db
chrome:/usr/share/misc# export TERM="color_mac"
chrome:/usr/share/misc# clear
tput: tgetent failure: No such file or directory
chrome:/usr/share/misc# vi /tmp/test
vi: No terminal database found
chrome:/usr/share/misc# cd
chrome:/usr/share/misc# export TERM="vt100"
chrome:/usr/share/misc# vi /tmp/test
<vi starts and works>

I'm totally at a loss that something this seemingly simple can turn
out to be such a pain.  Anyone know the correct procedure here?

sneak@datavibe.net        -             0xCD91A427
9907 3747 3CE9 11C5 2B1C  F141 D09F 488C CD91 A427
Note: key id 0x299450B6 is lost and inactive.
Copyright 2000 Jeffrey Paul.
The information contained in this message may be
privileged and confidential and protected from
disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Thank you.