Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:02:41 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More on the crashes

Here's some more info on the spontaneous crashes we're seeing under 2.2.7.
They seem to happen during times of heavy CPU and memory loads; the crash
this morning occurred when we were doing a backup of the entire disk. We do
our daily backups by piping the output of dump through gzip -9 and then
through FTP to a hard disk on another machine. Just before our OS upgrade
we did several such backups for safety; none of them caused a crash.

The reboots leave the file system a bit inconsistent.

At one point, with a kernel that was built slightly differently, we got
error messages saying  "malloc(): recursive call" (or something similar).
Once, we saw a panic screen that described a virtual memory error; it
flashed just before the reboot.

Has anyone else seen these? I'm concerned that there might be a VM problem
in 2.2.7. (We can't see any signs of flaky hardware.)

--Brett