Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:58:08 -0600
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Partition preferences...

I normally create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var. Since I only use
ultra-wide SCSI, I usually toss on a separate disk for /tmp - but I've been
known to create partitions on the main disk for /tmp. Naturally, <swap> is a
separate partition. I do this for a number of reasons - primarily, for
mounting purposes:

/ - 50Mb - since practically nothing is held open for writing, / usually
doesn't require much of an fsck in the rare case of an unplanned reboot. It
also encourages me not to log in and work as root. :)

/usr - 4+ Gb - mounted separately so it can be mounted read-only on secure
systems. (it's habit for me to create a separate partition for this, but I
suppose you could leave this in the same partition as /)

/usr/src - 2Gb (and usually on a separate drive) - I had an extra drive, and
there wasn't any point in wasting space on the main drive. Not entirely
necessary... I use this partition to compile everything (/usr/src/projects
and /usr/src/ports reside here)

/var - 128Mb - kept separate since it *usually* has open files on it. If the
system goes down, it doesn't take other partitions with it, since this (and
/home) are the only partitions with stuff open

/tmp - usually on a separate drive.  The only reason I do this is because
50Mb isn't much, especially when it starts half full. I put it on a separate
drive because I prefer to keep a working OS on a single physical disk, so I
offload anything not absolutely vital to other disks. I don't have any
problem with /usr/src and /tmp sharing a physical disk.

/home - _always_ on a separate drive. In case I need to migrate, I just pull
the drive out. A holdover from when my main server OS was WinNT. Has come in
handy though, particularly when I migrated from Linux to FreeBSD.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com

> In Chapter 5 , Where to put /var and /tmp section:-
> "  If we don't specify anything else, /var & /tmp will end up
> on the /root
> file system,which
> isn't enormous. If we leave things like that,there's a very
> good chance that
> the root file
> system will fillup"   WHY ?
> Do it good to create separate partition for /var & /tmp like
> / & swap ?

I don't speak for Greg, but I think he suggests creating a single partition.
I know there are arguments back and forth, but I think the old argument is
root gets very little write access, and therefore should be seperate from
/var, /etc, etc.  Perhaps to prevent the root from crashing with another
parition.

I myself just use a single partition.  Supposedly with the newer
harddrives/computers, there is less reason to break up into multiple
partitions.  Greg could explain this much better.

That said, I am only running a gateway.  There may be valid reasons to break
up into mulitple partitions, especially if this is for mission critical use.

I am sure someone will provide a more detailed rational.  Also check the
message archives, I have seen this thread before.

...Michael...