Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:39:51 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   stale subdisk on vinum device ...

I have a server that has the following vinum configuratino:

playground# vinum list
3 drives:
D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1s1b      Avail: 4/8416 MB (0%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2s1b      Avail: 4/8419 MB (0%)
D d3                    State: up       Device /dev/da3s1b      Avail: 4/8419 MB (0%)

1 volumes:
V usrlocal              State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         16 GB

1 plexes:
P usrlocal.p0        R5 State: degraded Subdisks:     3 Size:         16 GB

3 subdisks:
S usrlocal.p0.s0        State: stale    PO:        0  B Size:       8412 MB
S usrlocal.p0.s1        State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:       8414 MB
S usrlocal.p0.s2        State: up       PO:     1024 kB Size:       8414 MB

The server is running, reboots, no problems ... but being
'degraded' kinda worries me ...

Looking at 'man -S 4 vinum', a 'stale' subdisk means:

     stale           A subdisk entry which has been created completely.  All
                     fields are correct, the disk has been updated, and the
                     data was valid, but since then the drive has been crashed
                     and updates have been lost.

So, how can I tell it to update itself?  The only thing I can find in the
vinum man page is the rebuildparity ...

Is there something that I need to run to make it 'up' again?

Thanks ...