Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:06:57 -0600
From:      Ben Weaver <sid67@tranquility.net>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@1nova.com>
Cc:        Brian McGroarty <snowfox@yipyap.net>, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Domain Name setup

> Zone Type: Primary!
>
>                         @  86400 IN SOA
> ns1.centralinfo.net. hostmaster.1nova.com. (
>                                     2000120610   ; serial number
>                                     21600   ; refresh
>                                     10800   ; retry
>                                     604800   ; expire
>                                     43200)  ; ttl
>                         @  43200 IN NS  ns1.centralinfo.net.
>                         @  43200 IN NS  ns2.centralinfo.net.
>                         www 43200 A 63.105.24.23
>                         @ 43200 A 63.105.24.23
>                         @ 43200 MX 0 1nova.com.
>                         ftp 43200 CNAME 1nova.com.
>                         heorot 43200 CNAME 1nova.com.
>                         www 43200 CNAME 1nova.com.
>                         mail 43200 CNAME 1nova.com.
>

> 	Where my problems comes in is with the A record www entry, I
> think. The Cname www seemed to work quite well. But I'm still bouncing a
> few mails, which may be related to postfix misconfiguration.
>
> 						Rick

Just to remove all doubt, try this record:

@  86400 IN SOA ns1.centralinfo.net. hostmaster.1nova.com. (
                                     200012070   ; serial number
                                     21600   ; refresh
                                     10800   ; retry
                                     604800   ; expire
                                     43200)  ; ttl
 			IN 	NS  	ns1.centralinfo.net.
                       	IN 	NS  	ns2.centralinfo.net.
			IN 	A	63.105.24.23
                 	IN 	MX	0 mail
	 	;
		heorot	IN	A	63.105.24.23
                www	IN	CNAME	heorot
                ftp 	IN 	CNAME	heorot
                mail 	IN	CNAME	heorot

The way you administer your zone files is a matter of taste, really.  This is how I like to keep mine.  I always try to assign a certain hostname to every box and if I need aliases to that box, to make them to the hostname itself.  I also try not to clutter up the record with TTLs unless they are different from the default you specify in the header.  Again, that is just a matter of taste.  Some people like to have the TTLs in every entry to remind them of what value they are specifically.  The way you have yours set up looks fine to me except for two things.

1) It's probably not a good idea to have an A entry and a CNAME entry for the same name (i.e. www)
2) You forgot to put an IN on just about everything, which will make BIND complain a little bit, or maybe not work correctly.

Also, when you're doing alot of initial domain name setup, it's a good idea to keep the TTL down to a minimum (maybe something like 3600).  This prevents any mistakes from being cached for too long.

One final note.  I'm not sure if you know where BIND logs to, but it's in /var/log/messages (typically).  A good way to see what your name server is up to and what it thinks about the changes you just made is to look at this file after you have made changes and reloaded the name server.  I typically do something like this:

/usr/sbin/named.reload && grep named /var/log/messages

If your name server doesn't like something in a zone file, it usually tells you what and where the problem is.

Hope this helps!

-Ben