Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:59:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jeff <isando@dal.net>
Cc:        Terry Warner <keerf@www.netlabs.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI Rage Mobility

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Jeff wrote:

> >> I have a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop with the ATI Rage Mobility 8MB AGP video
> >> card. This card does not appear to be supported by X at the moment. I have
> >> tried several different approaches to get X to work, however the only thing
> >> which has worked to date is installing RedHat 6.0 and adding VGA=792 to
> >> lilo.conf.  Unfortunately, it is Linux.
> >>
> >> The key to getting this card to work in X was adding VGA=792 to lilo.conf.
> >> Without that I experienced the same problems as I did with FreeBSD-3.2 and
> >> 3.3.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to pass this argument, VGA=792, in FreeBSD? Or is there an
> >> equivalent I might use. Obviously there is no lilo.conf in FreeBSD, so Im a
> >> little stumped. I would appreciate any help anyone might be able to offer.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >>
> Terry:
>
> It was a sound idea, however it did not work. I suspect that adding vga=792
> initializes the video card in Linux at boot time. It may very well be a
> kernel difference between FreeBSD and Linux that allows it to work in
> Linux. If it runs in X on one platform, it seems it should run on all
> platforms, though. Well back to the drawing board. Thanks though!

Jeff, part of the problem is that by referencing some obscure Lilo
option you aren't giving us enough to work on.  I hack on
FreeBSD on a daily basis and only once have I ever messed with Lilo.

A web search for "Lilo vga 792" didn't give me anything I could use.

If you want help then giving us URLs to the Linux howto(s) would
be great.  This way we can figure out if FreeBSD offers the equivelant
functionality via some other means.

thanks,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]