Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:05:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Contemplating THIS change to signals. (fwd)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Nate Williams wrote:

> > My suggestion is to stop making STOP type signals an exception,
> > because it should not be necessary to stop them in the middle of a
> > syscall, just stop them from getting back to userspace.
>
> What about when you suspend a process in the middle of read/write, which
> are syscalls?  This kind of behavior is *extremely* common-place.

of course
The question, is, can you tell the difference between the case where
the proces is suspended at the user boundary and where
the process is doing it's sleep? (Considering that immediatly after the
sleep finishes, it's going to abort the syscall and go to the user
boundary because of the signal).