Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 01:02:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Ishmael <ishmael@tranquility.net>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM

> Out of curiosity, is there some reason why you dont want to continue to
> use cvsup to keep your system up to date?  Since you've already used it
> once, it would seem to be alot easier to continue using it rather than
> trying to set up ctm.

CTM is useful for people whose FreeBSD systems aren't connected, or are
poorly connected, to the Internet.

> > Ok, having brought my 3.4-STABLE system up-to-date via CVSup, I thought
> > that it might be a good idea using CTM for keeping my system updated in
> > the future.

If you want to use CTM, the proper thing is to start with the base against
which the CTM deltas are generated.  These are large files, so you'll
probably want to get them before taking your computer off the Internet. An
example is
http://ftp.sunet.se/ftp/pub/unix/FreeBSD/CTM/cvs-cur/cvs-cur.6200xEmpty.gz
.  If you start with the source tree that you've cvsupped, it may work for
a while, but inconsistencies are likely to show up someday.  After you've
downloaded the base, apply any deltas that have been generated since then.
You can find them in the same directory on the FTP sites.  After that, you
can continue visiting the FTP sites occasionally to get the deltas, or you
can save them off the mailing list.

> > *Unluckily* in the part of the Handbook where CTM is
> > explained, it does not say much of the lists that are available. Sending a
> > lists request to majordomo@freebsd.org tells me which CTM-lists are
> > available, but it does not really tell me what they're for.
> >
> > So, in order to keep up-to-date with my FreeBSD-3.4-STABLE, would I
> > subscribe to ctm-cvs-cur or ctm-src-3? In CVSup I'm currently using
> > RELENG_3 and I'm getting src-all. I want to accomplish the same with CTM,
> > so which list do I need to subscribe to?

Here's the explanation
from http://www2.de.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html (on my system, it's
also in /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/):

   distribution lists. ``ctm-cvs-cur'' supports the entire cvs tree.
   ``ctm-src-cur'' supports the head of the development branch.
   ``ctm-src-2_2'' supports the 2.2 release branch, etc.. (If you do not
   know how to subscribe yourself using majordomo, send a message first
   containing the word help -- it will send you back usage instructions.)

That document has some other information on CTM which you should read.

If you want to do "make release" (compile FreeBSD for installation or
upgrading via sysinstall), then you'll need to have the whole CVS tree.
That will also enable you to check out any branch of FreeBSD and go back
in time to any date.  The downside is that the base is three or four times
the size of any particular branch (nearly 200 MB) and the deltas are
bigger too (because they encompass the changes to all branches).

I haven't actually used CTM yet, so take this with a grain of salt.
Corrections are welcome.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt