Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:08:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA won't su to root in X terminal

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Larry Librettez wrote:

> Thank you for sharing your insights.  It is not everyday that one is
> given the priviledge of sharing in the wisdom of a core developer.

Sounds like I may be being oversold as an answer to the world's problems
:-).

> > Also, what version of 2.2 did you upgrade from?  If
> > it's still on the
> > snapshot server, I could try installing that, then
> > doing the upgrade, and
> > see if I get the same problem.
>
> This system was originally installed as 4.2-RELEASE from a cd.  It was
> subsequently upgraded to 4.2-STABLE, then 4.3-BETA and now it is 4.3-RC.
> The problem arose after the transition from 4.2-STABLE to 4.3-BETA. Also
> strange, is if I boot the 4.2-STABLE kernel (kernel.old) within 4.3-RC
> userland, the problem goes away - I CAN su to root within an X terminal!
>
> This also is strange - from within X (4.3-RC kernel + 4.3-RC userland),
> if I start gnome-terminal, I CAN su to root in that terminal window.  If
> I start xterm or rxvt, I cannot.  However, if I start rxvt or xterm from
> WITHIN a gnome-terminal as regular user (i.e.  'rxvt &' or 'xterm &'), I
> CAN su to root from within that rxvt or xterm!  Strange!
>
> So for now, I have resorted to using gnome-terminal as my X terminal of
> choice.  Do you have any other ideas?

Hmm.  Bizarre.  I'm going to go write some test programs and send them to
you sometime a bit later today.  I must admit this is a fairly baffling
bug -- the next area of exploration is probably into how the various forms
of uid (effective, saved, real, ...) are set up by xterm.  It's odd that
the problem persisted once the setuid bit was removed from xterm, in
particular.  I should get back to you sometime later today.

Thanks!