Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 02:31:48 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 08:31:33PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Linux is currently the darling of the desktop set and that has nothing
> to do with what I may or may not have said about FreeBSD and the
> desktop, it has to do with our weak audio, PCCARD and general
> multimedia support.  These are all things which I've gone far out of
> my way to try and drum up enthusiasm for and we just don't have the
> resources to match Linux here.

<shyly raising hand>
May I help? I cannot help with PCCARD. But what do we need in the field of
audio?
</shyly>

Multimedia is my love. Is it device drivers that we lack? Or is it
applications? I would seriously like to help.

I said "shyly" because I am still relatively new to Unix. I have never written
a device driver for Unix, although I have written AVATAR.SYS for MS DOS in
assembly language, as well as other DOS device drivers. So I am familiar with
the concept of device drivers, just would need to learn about the Unix end of
it. As a matter of fact, I just read the section on device drivers on
freebsd.org earlier today (oops, it's past midnight again, make that
yesterday). It all makes sense, but I need an introduction to Unix device
drivers. The site mentions two books with ISBN - a quick check at amazon shows
both out of print, although other books are available (alas they cost more
than $50).

I also said "shyly" because I never worked with audio, although I did work with
video. So I would need some pointers as where to learn more about audio.

Finally, I said "shyly" because my audio card was hit by lightning last summer
and has not been of much use since. My income is limited, so I was unable to
replace it.

However, if someone is willing to donate a decent audio card, lend me a book on
Unix device drivers, and suggest resources I can study to learn about whatever
I need to know about audio cards (perhaps sample Linux drivers), I would love
to work on it.

By the way, the reason I asked about the software for Matrix (thanks for the
quick reply) was because over the past 3 years or so, I have been developing
(off and on) a library of routines for video special effects as a Windows DLL.
About a week ago I started converting it to a FreeBSD library. It is still
going to take some time, and I thought if such a library already existed, I
would channel my energy elsewhere. But your reply assured me I should continue
working on it.

Anyway, I am willing to help, providing someone helps me get jumpstarted.

Adam