Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:52:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Obi Wan Oblivion <vdk@chaosphere.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning the ins & outs of FreeBSD

> experience with C and have begun to take the masochistic approach to
> learning about the inner workings of FreeBSD by reading snippets of code
> from /usr/src,  but there has got to be a more thorough, if not easier,
> approach.

Erm, no actually.  The approach you've taken isn't the masochistic one
at all, it's really the ONLY approach to take.  You think people have
time to *write* about this stuff and work on it too? ;-) It's enough
work just keeping /usr/src up to date for most developers, and I'm
afraid that reading the code IS the way to do what you want to do.

It's also about as thorough an approach as they get so I'm not quite
sure what you mean by your request for a "more thorough" one -
whatever any book might say, even if you have one available, the
source is always the definitive reference.  Books are often wrong but
the sources don't lie. :)

As far as "easier" is concerned, well, who ever said that learning
FreeBSD at this level was supposed to be easy? ;-)

					Jordan