Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:56:04 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Klaus Brunner <k.brunner@acm.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter on 3.4-STABLE: "File exists"

Klaus Brunner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get ipfilter (plus ipnat) to work on my 3.4-STABLE box
> (fresh cvsup today, kernel options IPFILTER and IPFILTER_LOG). The
> ipfilter comes up and gives me an "initialized, default = pass all,
> logging = enabled" message. ipnat gets initialized and works fine.
>
> However, as soon as I try to add ANY rule using ipf, I get a "File
> exists" message.
>
> Example (trying to enter a simple rule from stdin):
>
> root@winf# ipf -f -
> pass in all
> ^D
> ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists

[snip]

> This of course also gives me "ioctl(SIOCADDFR): File exists" messages.
> What's up? Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't find anything on the
> various ipfilter pages I searched.
>
> Any help appreciated!

	I recently subscribed to the ipfilter list, someone on there
mentioned something similar.  I believe the issue was having the
kernel and userland stuff at different versions.  I'd recommend
rebuilding the ipfilter userland tools and see if you continue to have
this problem.  If it does continue then subscribe to the list,
questions seem to be addressed pretty quickly there.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu