Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:32:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re:  New wrinkle on doscmd build failures.

> Could it be that the folks compiling this are doing it with ELF X11
> libs?  I think that it must be strongly considered as a possibility
> that even people running full ELF systems will continue to have a.out
> X11 libs on their systems for awhile afterwards (since you can still
> RUN all the old stuff, there's less pressure to go rebuild/install it
> if you're not building X things as a matter of course) and I wouldn't
> want to watch the make world failures come back as a result.  I still
> think that things which depend on X should either do so even more
> selectively (an environment variable?) or not be in /usr/src.  We
> got rid of xroach and xditview in /usr/src for exactly that reason. :-)
>
> - Jordan

Are you supposed to move the a.out libs to /usr/X11R6/lib/aout? The latest
`make aout-to-elf' will automatically do that and /etc/rc has been changed
to include the aout subdirectory in the aout ldconfig path so that legacy
a.out X applications will continue to run.

I think it's time for all those who haven't moved their a.out X libs to do so,
and put doscmd/xroach/xditview back on the build list. There is even a make
target just for that: move-aout-libs.

-lq