Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 19:42:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net (Jacob M. Parnas)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, Kevin_Swanson@blacksmith.com, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

Jacob M. Parnas stands accused of saying:

> >Quatech do a card called the DS-100 with a pair of PC16550D's and an 18MHz
> >clock and a jumperable /1 /2 /5 /10 divider that will allow your to
> >run your 16550 ports significantly faster.
> >
> >Unfortunately, they tried to implement the card properly, and as such
> >we have had serious problems with the cards in fast (>486/33) machines.
>
> It shouldn't be a hard thing.  Simply build a fifo which has say a 1
> Megabit of memory on it (pretty cheap these days).  It sends an
> interrupt if it goes from full to not full or another if it reaches
> half full.  If known by the kernel not to be empty, empty it 25
> times/second (if it was full at 10 MB/sec, it would be emptied in
> 1/80th of a second.)  That's fast, cheap, and will go very fast.
> I'm not even hardware oriented, but can see that it wouldn't be hard
> or difficult to build or program, and would support very fast I/O.

Out of the mouths of babes - Jacob, it's _blindingly_obvious_ that you
don't know spit about hardware.  Attempting to discuss this with you
would be like trying to talk existentialism with a donkey.

Or do you honestly believe that you, with your self-avowed lack of
hardware orientation, can come up with something that hasn't been done
before?  Are you _really_ that concieted?

> Back to the personal insults.  This is where I step off.  I have better
> things to do than act like elementary school kids trading insults.  What's
> next? "My daddy can beat up your daddy".

Jacob; you butt in on a discussion brandishing your swollen ignorance
and your myopic perspecive in everyone's face, and then burst into
tears when this is pointed out to you.  There is nothing 'mature' in
this attitude, so I can't see what you're complaining about.