Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:45:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@cs.elte.hu>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI problem

Hi!

The scsi stuff I wrote is the old stuff now being replaced :-)

> I've got an ASUS SC200 PCI-bus SCSI-controller.  It has NCR810 on it.  On
> it, there is a Plextor PX-4XCE CD-ROM, with id of 2.  Worked well.  Now,
> I've bought a 2MB _wide_ SCSI disc, an IBM DCAS-32160W.  I've got an 50->68
> adapter, so I can put it on the normal cable (as id 6).  But if I boot with
> these hardwares, the SCSI BIOS cannot identify them, and the FreeBSD boot will
> generate so many errors, that it'll be about an hour to boot, and non of them
> identified by it.  Maybe it's a wrong card, or something.  So i got for a
> while an Adaptec 2840 - another _non-wide_ PCI-adapter.  Only the CD -> OK.
> Only the disk -> OK.  Both of them: the same problem: neither the card's
> BIOS, nor the BSD driver cannot identify the CD and the disc, and the boot
> generates a ton of errors, and it's about an hour to boot.

is the disk SCAM compatible (check docs)
id the CD SCAM compatible?

SCAM is a scheme where the IDs are dynamically assigned. But all devices
must be compatible with it. Most modern PCs try use SCAM these days in the
BIOS.

> So my questions:
> can I put wide and normal peripherals on a normal controller?
> If it's yes, can I put it onto my SC200, or I need to change the adapter (or
> the disc)?
> What on Earth can generates this problem?

Unfortunatly I got out of the SCSI business before WIDE devices became
popular, so I know very little about it..

My suggestion (In fact I will forward it) is to ask scsi@freebsd.org

> And another one: I've got an old SyQuest removable disc.  On it there are
> some defects.  I tried to verify it with the Adaptec's BIOS utility, and it
> remapped some tracks.  After it I tried to format.  The format failed.  After
> the failed format, I cannot make anything with it.  Some hints?  (I'm an
> analphabet for SCSI, so pardon my silly questions!)
I think you mean illiterate.. :-)

I really cannot help you much with this..
If the SCSI BIOS cannot handle this device it may be a bad sign..
have you tried a different cartridge?
Maybe others have more information on this device..

BTW, 3.0 or 2.2.x?