Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:21:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        gilley <gilley@netunlimited.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Is this illegal?]

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, gilley wrote:

> I noticed the following output from my ISP.
> Can they run academic versions for profit?
> [... "Unregistered BSD" query deleted --- someone else already answered
> it ...]

> me@localhost zsort]# ftp ftp.netunlimited.net
> Connected to Kirk.netunlimited.net.
> 220 Kirk.NetUnlimited.net FTP server (Version
> wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-13](1) Wed Mar 26 17:30:22 EST 1997) ready.
> Name (ftp.netunlimited.net:root):

wu-2.4.2-academ is not academic software with any restrictions on its use.
It's an improved version of the freely available Washington University
(St. Louis) ftpd daemon that academ.com, Stan Barber's consulting service,
has been supporting since Washington University has seemingly discontinued
development work on it several years ago.

Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Graduate Student - ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Iowa State University               http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer
Research Assistant, Scalable Computing Laboratory, Ames Laboratory