Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:37:46 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brandon Williams <drift@sigmatel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NFS file locking in 4.2-RELEASE

Brandon Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this has been discussed, but I searched the archives and
> could not find any mention of it, at least specifically for 4.2.

	Well, you might want to broaden your search. This is discussed fairly
regularly.

> rpc.lockd does not appear to work when the freebsd box is acting as an nfs
> fileserver and a solaris 7 client attempts to lock a file (specifically
> with cadence, a CAD app.)

	There is an experimental lockd implementation that works on a freebsd
nfs server to issue locks. You can get a copy at
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd/FreeBSD/lockd-0.2a.tar.gz

If you're going to run it on 4.2 you can ignore the xdr info, those
updates have already been committed. Just run make and then you will
have a lockd binary to play with. Keep in mind that this is
experimental, but it's passed my tests so far. Also, this does not
implement the ability for freebsd to request locks, it's a server only
item.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    So what I want to know is, where does the RED brick road go?