Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
To:        Scott Schappell <archon-dated-1061492796.ac6f46@silvertree.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: realpath advisory question

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Scott Schappell wrote:

> I have a question regarding whether or not I need to upgrade my system, and
> if so, what's the best way to do it to minimize downtime.
>
> uname output:
>
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> FreeBSD arthur.silvertree.org 4.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #1: Sat Aug  2
>
> Does anything in the uname suggest I'm OK, or do I need to upgrade?
>
> I'm a bit nervous about doing a make world update, but only for downtime
> concerns.

Unless you have a specific need that only an upgrade can fill you are fine
for now. 4.8-RELEASE is currently the "official" version of FreeBSD from
the Production line.  If you want to play safe, wait until the next
official release is announced.  If you wanted to update it to the latest
security fixes for the 4.8 line you could start tracking RELENG_4_8.

If you are an experienced user who wants to start contributing to FreeBSD
development you may want to look into tracking RELENG_4 (4-STABLE), but
contrary to what many people assume from the name this is still a
development branch to be used at your own risk.

If you are considering upgrading to the 5.x New Technology line read the
Early Adopter's Guide before doing anything else:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html

There should be very little downtime involved from an upgrade if you
follow the steps from the Handbook carefully.  Part can be done without
leaving multi-user mode, and the only noticable effect until then will be
the increased system load.

Cheers,

Viktor