Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:03:04 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@whistle.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT vs Linux vs FreeBSD

Wes Peters wrote:

> Tani Hosokawa wrote:

> > > This doesn't answer my question at all, unfortunately.
> > > I asked for specifics and I meant specifics.  URLs
> > > demonstrating an *active use* of Bitkeeper please - I
> > > know it's intended to offer a web based browsing
> > > interface, so where are they? :)
> >
> > "Because we haven't written up a license yet, this is a
> > closed beta"
> >
> > So, it's not in active use right now for Linux, but it
> > will be shortly.
>
> So you've just confirmed that no such specific documentation
> exists, or can exist, because Linux has not yet officially
> transitioned to BitKeeper. This also points out it will be
> some time before the scalability and usability of BitKeeper,
> or the willingness of the Linux leaders to submit to the
> discipline of such a tool can be proven.
>
> Gee, Terry, this seems eerily familiar.  Who else do we know
> that ran through every existing source code control system
> on the planet but refused to submit to any of them himself?

Not me.  I was one of the people who instituted CVS at
Novell.  I'd be interested to know who you think you are
talking about, though.  8-).

I think you guys are reading the wrong URL's.  Instead of
reading the out of date:

	http://www.bitkeeper.com/bk06.html

I suggest you read:

	http://www.bitkeeper.com/bk12.html
	http://www.bitkeeper.com/free.html
	http://lwn.net/1999/features/BitKeeper.phtml

...and of course, going back to:

	http://www.bitkeeper.com/bk06.html

and reading the last sentence of paragraph 1:

	Mail sales@bitmover.com if you want to take part
	in the Beta program.

-- Terry Lambert
-- Whistle Communications, Inc.