Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:22:16 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Travis Troyer <troyertm@email.uc.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup Tags and release status

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:55:01 -0500, Travis Troyer <troyertm@email.uc.edu>
wrote:

> I am fairly new to FreeBSD and I was recently reading about CVSup for
> updating packages and such, but I beleive the information I was reading
> is out-dated:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
>
> This says that RELENG_4 is for FreeBSD-STABLE and that RELENG_5_0 is
> "used only for security advisories and other seriously critical fixes."
> Is this still the case now that 5.0 is the current release version?  I
> installed FreeBSD using the 5.0-Release ISO and want the most current,
> but stable packages, so I'm not sure which tag to use.

If you are fairly new, you will be happier with 4-STABLE.  Now that 5.0 has
been released in a "-STABLE but by no means have all the kinks been worked
out" version, yes, RELENG_5_0 is the tag for security and other critical
version 5 fixes, as RELENG_4_7 is for version 4.

> Also, I'm trying to install NVidia's geforce driver, which says it is for
> FreeBSD -STABLE version 4.7 or later.  When I try to compile it, it says
> that "This driver does not support FreeBSD 5.0/-CURRENT!"  If I installed
> FreeBSD from the 5.0-Release ISO, wouldn't I be running 5.0-Stable and
> not 5.0-Current?

5.0 *or* -CURRENT is what the forward slash in between means.  Semantics
aside, -CURRENT isn't that far removed from 5.0-Release at this point
anyway.  I think I did see some messages in this list about altering a few
lines somewhere to run the nVidia driver with 5.0/-CURRENT.  But 5.0 or -
CURRENT is what you should run if you feel you have the knowledge to help
yourself when you encounter problems, and to help the project as well by
filing PRs and/or submitting patches.  If you want the latest version that
mostly "just works," 4-STABLE is where you should be.

Jud