Date:      Tue, 26 May 2015 18:09:11 -0400
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.1 + ZFS

On 05/26/15 17:34, Jon Radel wrote:
> On 5/26/15 5:12 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
>>

>> Installing and then copying it over to the ZFS file system is not the
>> correct answer.
>>
>> There must be a way to install directly to ZFS....Is it really that
>> hard?
>>

> Well, installing to ZFS is trivial in 10.1 if you let the installer do
> the installing.  However, if you dislike its notions of what to do,
> overriding what the installer does ranges from trivial to painful
> depending on which of its defaults you object to.
>
> Perhaps if you shared with us why you wish to manually partition your
> disks and/or what you mean by "install directly to ZFS" we could offer
> suggestions more to your liking.  Or to put it another way, what does
> Auto-ZFS do that you dislike?
>
> And if you really want to do the whole thing without the installer,
> what's the problem with
>
> http://freebsdfoundation.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/from-trenches-tips-tricks-edition.html
>

> which Ben Woods already called to your attention?
>
> --Jon Radel
> jon@radel.com

 From the handbook.....

      2.6.4. Root-on-ZFS Automatic Partitioning

Support for automatic creation of root-on-ZFS installations was added in
FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE. This partitioning mode only works with whole disks
and will erase the contents of the entire disk. The installer will
automatically create partitions aligned to 4k boundaries and force ZFS
to use 4k sectors. This is safe even with 512 byte sector disks, and has
the added benefit of ensuring that pools created on 512 byte disks will
be able to have 4k sector disks added in the future, either as
additional storage space or as replacements for failed disks. The
installer can also optionally employ GELI disk encryption as described
in Section 18.12.2, “Disk Encryption with |geli|”
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html#disks-encrypting-geli>.
If encryption is enabled, a 2 GB unencrypted boot pool containing the
|/boot| directory is created. It holds the kernel and other files
necessary to boot the system. A swap partition of a user selectable size
is also created, and all remaining space is used for the ZFS pool.

The main ZFS configuration menu offers a number of options to control
the creation of the pool.

Erasing the entire contents is NOT an option.  There are going to be two
other operations systems installed on the boxen.
And only works on whole disks.

I want an ZFS Raid-Z2 setup.

wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/UFSBoot is what I am trying to follow, but it
doesn't do RAID-Z.