Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:09:40 -0600
From:      dunhamal@cuug.ab.ca (Alan Dunham 284-9866)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dos + FreeBSD 2.1 on IDE, dos needs format

  Hi:  I have just installed FreeBSD 2.1 on a new IDE disk (Fireball 1.2).
       I set up a 400Mb partition for DOS before I installed FreeBSD on the
       rest of the drive.  But I didn't format C: first (not thinking ahead,
       I guess).  Now that FreeBSD is up, I am afraid to format C: because I
       don't trust DOS software.

	I have an archive of 386bsd & FreeBSD newsgroups since Aug 92.  I can
       almost always find a solution to any problem I have by looking there.
       But it seems that no one else has made this mistake.

       -Is there a way of doing a DOS format from BSD on /dev/rwd0s1?
       -If I format C:, will it leave my BSD partition (slice) intact?
       -If I change the CMOS to tell it that C: has only 813 cylinders instead
         of the actual 2484, then will format C: leave BSD alone?
       -Will a dos format destroy the BSD boot manager & boot blocks &
        disklabel?

  thanks,
  Al

  Alan Dunham               /\        The finest views are only seen
  dunhamal@cuug.ab.ca      /\ \        from the hardest routes.
  Calgary, Alberta        /  \ \          A. F. Mummery