Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:38:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "James R. Shrenk" <dionysos3@crosswinds.net>
To:        Woody Carey <carey@roguewave.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: cannot mount cd indicates bad ide cd drive - replace?

CC'ed back to list

Somebody else might want to take this up in more detail, but I think I can
get you started.  Essentially, each device that loads up and appears in
the dmesg output is the device as a whole.  When dmesg shows acd0 that is
the cdrom drive that is being recognized.  CDROMs are simple after that in
the sense that all it takes to access them is to access by acd0a or acd0c.
What I included below with wcd0c is actually the same device as a symbolic
link.  With hard drives they have subsequent slice and partition entries
that you have to consider before mounting them.

If you have the money, Greg Lehey covers this very extensively in the
opening chapters of The Complete FreeBSD.

Hopefully, too, somebody will pick this up and give a better run down of
it.

James