Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 00:34:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ckempf@enigami.com (Cory Kempf)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, abial@nask.pl
Subject:   Re: New kernel page faults

Cory Kempf said:
> OK, so how does one build a *working* kernel?
>
> Thanks to an answer from Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> (give the -a
> option to the boot prompt), I can now boot.  So, first thing, I tried to
> build a kernel for my system (HW details below).

Make sure that you remove bounce buffers.  When you have this kind of
problem, it is a good idea to post your kernel config file and specify
your memory size.  Also, is your kernel image below the 1000'th
pseudo cylinder?  (Your root partition needs to be entirely contained
below cyl 1000.)  (Just a guess.)

> Any suggestions either where to start looking to figure out the problem,
> or, alternatively, any suggestions on how I can more successfully build a
> kernel?

Try the DDB trace command.