Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 04:24:21 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "parv" <parv_@yahoo.com>, "User & Ian Patrick Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Closing PPP connection opened using ppp -auto

> > As it was put forth by Mark Hughes on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 08:57:05PM
+0100...
> > > If I've opened a PPP connection using the line...
> > >
> > > ppp -auto adsl
> > >
> > > (where adsl is the profile name)
> > >
> > > and the line has come up with usage, as is expected, how do I force a
> > > disconnect? The only way I can find to do it at the moment is by
running

> > Do a kill -HUP ppp process number.  I use sudo which allows me to let
> > normal users reset this process that is started as root.  If you want,
I can
> > send you the steps on how to do this.  It beats logging in as root
everytime
> > to kill a connection.

> see sections 'SIGNAL HANDLING' & 'PPP COMMAND LIST' in ppp man page.

[snip]

> ...say, if a user had started ppp, then that user can send INT
> signal to close the connection but not quit ppp. HUP signal, among
> others, will make ppp to quit entirely.

This is close to what I'm looking for, but it still doesn't seem entirely
right.

Sending an "INT" signal to PPP gets it to close the connection, but in this
case will it execute ppp.linkdown? the PPPoA driver for my modem needs to
be killall'd then restarted each time it is used in ppp (don't ask me why,
it's a known bug though according to the docs...should be fixed in the next
version :+) ) - I've got a script to do this executed from ppp.linkdown,
but that file never seems to get looked at.

If the line is dropped, will ppp.linkdown be parsed then? That's the only
time I'd really envisage the line coming down and needing re-initializing.

Thanks for your ideas guys.

Mark