Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:38:29 +0200
From:      "John Andersson" <yottaman@writeme.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Delayed effects of sysctl.conf

I have added "kern.maxfiles=3D16384" and "kern.maxfilesperproc=3D16384" =
in
my FreeBSD 4.3 server to raise the number of file descriptors. The
problem is that the ircd daemon does not see these changes at startup,
it reports that there is too few file descriptos. If I manually start
ircd after startup has completed, it starts without complaining.

It seems like the changes in sysctl.conf at startup does not take effect
until the startup process has completed, perhaps it is after the
securelevel has been raised or something.

What can I do to solve this? Can I modify the number of file descriptors
in some other way, or start the ircd daemon in some other way?

TIA,
John