Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:21:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Con

> Is it too early to start planning meetings and gatherings around the
> FreeBSD Con (<URL:http://www.freebsdcon.org/>)?

Never too early! :)

> I'm planning on being in the area from the 16th until the 24th of October.
> Any FreeBSD users in the area fancy meeting up for dinner, sight-seeing,
> and so on?

I think that goes without saying.  Berkeley is well-known for having a
lot of good restaurants. :)

> Any recommendations for things to do over there, or places to avoid?

Go up to Telegraph Ave at some point, at least, and see all the nifty
street people.  I'll be having a "drug buyers tour" during the
conference where I tell you which street corners to avoid and who to
get all the best LSD from.  Haha.  Just kidding.  It's actually a
pretty interesting walk when the weather is nice and Telegraph is a
lot more fun than it is dangerous if you're simply clued-in enough to
go wander it before 3am or so - no different than Times Square in NYC
that way, I guess.

The campus itself is also a fun walker's tour and I'll probably be
taking small groups of people up to wander the Lawrence Berkeley Labs
at various points during the week.  The area is pretty spectacular for
both its views and its various scientific landmarks ("over there's
where they split the first particles, and over there is where they put
them back together again before anybody found out") and there's even a
decent set of stables (Grizzly Peak stables) for those who enjoy
equestrian activities; it's been far too long since I myself rode the
various trails up there and may rent a horse myself if there's any
general interest.

- Jordan