Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 02:43:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        ahd@kew.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@hub.freebsd.org, support@kew.com

> 	uucp mail from is valid.  even though i cannot doa DNS on it.
> 	our uucp relay will accept the message and attempt delivery for us.

UUCP mail is specifically handled semantically in the relay syntax for
the embedded responder address.  THis has to be handled anyway, or you
would not be able to send mail from a "normal" host to a UUCP host and
then on to a bang path.

For example, in the address "gang!foobar@fee.com", the address of the
relay host "fee.com" must be accessible.  In other words, only the RHS
is examined, and the bangs are all left-associative.

> hub cf[183] grep 22278 /var/log/maillog
> Sep  7 17:51:03 hub sendmail[22278]: NOQUEUE: ruleset=check_relay, arg1=[200.241.133.2], arg2=200.241.133.2, relay=root@localhost, reject=451 Domain does not resolve

Heh.  The address rewriting rules for outbound mail will, by default,
replace the 'localhost' before invoking the check_relay ruleset following
rule 98.  If it doesn't, your config file is broken (or, re: our LUSER_RELAY
discussion, perhaps the sendmail configuration macros are flawed).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.