Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 18:43:29 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Mario Pranjic <mario.pranjic@irb.hr>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail and /etc/hosts

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 03:50:36PM +0200, Mario Pranjic wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> I don't know if it's smart but I'd like to configure sendmail so that it
> first checks /etc/hosts file and after that DNS entries.
>=20
> Is that possible?

A quick look through /etc/mail/freebsd.mc picked up a reference to
/usr/share/sendmail/cf/README.  A search for /etc/hosts in that file
found the confHOSTS_FILE option, and immediately above it the
confSERVICE_SWITCH_FILE option.  Apparently, sendmail checks for the
presence of the file pointed to by the confSERVICE_SWITCH_FILE option,
or the /etc/mail/service.switch file by default; if that file is
present, sendmail uses its settings just as all other programs use
/etc/host.conf on -STABLE and /etc/nsswitch.conf on -CURRENT.
Thus, it would seem that all you need to do is create an
/etc/mail/service.switch file, and put the following two lines in it:
file
dns

Disclaimer: I have not used Sendmail in the past couple of years, and I
have never configured Sendmail; the information above is just what I
found with a quick glimpse at the docs.  Hope that helps :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org