Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:59:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        <java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   jdk1.3.1 awt exception, plugin, OpenJIT

OK, I've got a lot of questions :)
I've just build jdk1.3.1 and it went very smoothly (after I realized that
Greg is not kidding about using gtar, not tar :)
Thank you guys!

* plugin
Now it would be very good to see plugin working... I don't know if Greg
had any success with making Mozilla use it, but I'd be happy to at least
try beta testing it. Are the patches for plugin available somewhere?

* awt exception -- most likely caused by the font message in the beginning
It's probably not important but I decided to let you know anyways. The
strange thing is that it doesn't happen consistently, i.e. it happens a
lot, but in different parts of code and apparently only once per program
execution.

I'll try to put jdk1.3.1 in our semi-production non-critical enironment
and will see how it behaves...

Warning: Cannot convert 	string
"-b&h-lucidasans-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

java.awt.AWTException: cannot open XIM
        at sun.awt.motif.X11InputMethod.<init>(X11InputMethod.java:148)
        at
sun.awt.motif.X11InputMethodDescriptor.createInputMethod(X11InputMethodDescriptor.java:78)
        at
sun.awt.im.InputContext.getInputMethodInstance(InputContext.java:691)
        at sun.awt.im.InputContext.getInputMethod(InputContext.java:641)
        at sun.awt.im.InputContext.dispatchEvent(InputContext.java:193)
        at
sun.awt.im.InputMethodContext.dispatchEvent(InputMethodContext.java:177)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2527)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1213)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:131)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:98)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:85)
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Font
        at
sun.awt.font.NativeFontWrapper.drawStringIntDiscreteRaster(Native Method)
        at
sun.java2d.loops.ICRDrawStringRasterContext.invoke(TextRendering.java
:326)
        at
sun.awt.image.BufferedImageGraphics2D.drawString(BufferedImageGraphics2D.java:1125)
        at sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D.drawString(SunGraphics2D.java:2245)
        at scorch.gui.PlayersPanel.drawNames(PlayersListControl.java:144)
        at scorch.gui.PlayersPanel.paint(PlayersListControl.java:106)
        at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(RepaintArea.java:298)
        at
sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.handleEvent(MComponentPeer.java:349)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2663)